Crazy Rumor: Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett for DREAM and StrikeForce co-promotion
I will start off this post by saying that I do not know what the chances of this fight happening are, but I will let you make your own decision on the rumor. Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett has been a potential blockbuster fight that has been argued by fans for years. Last August we were close to seeing them finally fight at Affliction “Trilogy”, but Josh Barnet failed a pre-fight drug test for banned substances.
Now MMARecap.com is reporting that sources from DREAM have informed them that the fight is in the works for a cross-promotion event with StrikeForce this February.
What makes sense about the Rumor
- Josh Barnett can not fight Fedor in the U.S due to his current 1 year ban from the CSAC for the banned substance, fighting in Japan may be his only option for a long time.
- Fedor Emelianenko needs options for a second opponent under his StrikeForce contract and a fight against Barnett in Japan would draw a lot of interest.
- Fedor has made it clear he wants to fight in Japan again and we know he has wanted to fight Barnett for a long time.
- Lets be honest, there is not testing in Japan, there for no chance Barnett will test positive for a banned substance again.
What does not make sense about the Rumor
- The CSAC and the rest of the U.S sanctioning bodies may issue a life time ban against Barnett like they did to Antonio “Big Foot” Silva when he wanted to fight for Sengoku during his suspension.
- StrikeForce knows Barnett is a big risk and also a controversial figure in the sport, they will probably not want negative publicity by promoting a event with Barnett.
- StrikeForce may also suffer the wrath of the CSAC is some way shape or form for promotion a fight with Josh Barnett.
- This is too crazy to be true!
I will let you decide for yourself on this rumor, but it will take a lot to make this fight happen. Barnett is often blamed by fans for the collapse of Affliction and has now tested positive twice for steroids in the biggest fights of his career, which may generate a lot of backlash from fans, critics and the media.