urDIRT.com

Various Promotions

Quick Pic: Dana White adds Affliction’s R.I.P date to his Tombstone, turns down buyout of their contracts

The picture seen above is a Tombstone Dana White keeps in his office  of all the promotions that have gone out of business over the years he has run Zuffa. The IFL, EliteXC and now Affliction will be on there as well.

According to a Yahoo! Sports Dana White turned down the right to buyout Affliction’s fighter contracts only days before UFC 100.

“I told him, ‘I hope you idiots stay in business.’ We had a record year in 2007. We had a record year in 2008. And we’re going to have an even bigger record year in 2009. I said, ‘I hope you … stay around in 2010 and burn every dollar you have.’ What they do is of no concern to me.”

So now Dana will put July 24, 2009 on his Tombstone for all to see.

6 Comments

1. FujitaJul 24, 2009 at 4:08 pmReply

Well, I will be surprised if Dana does let Affliction sponsor UFC fighters, & if he does, I’m sure the tax will be a whole lot more than Atencio’s daughter’s hand in marriage.

2. Rider917Jul 24, 2009 at 8:45 pmReply

The Affluction contracts are non transferible because of Californias laws so even if the UFC brought them out Fedor couldn’t go to the UFC anyway it would be Pride all over again

• HellboiJul 24, 2009 at 8:47 pmReply

@Rider917, true same thing happened with EliteXC and Strikeforce just made good offers to there fighters

3. Gogo-13Jul 24, 2009 at 8:48 pmReply

MMA is dying every day more and more and the UFC is growing from it

4. D_day347Jul 24, 2009 at 9:27 pmReply

Fuck Affliction there shows were boring and they had no type of enthusiasm like the UFC the announcers sucked too

• jetrayJul 24, 2009 at 10:35 pmReply

@D_day347, Agreed. Affliction sucked royally. Nothing but a larger version of EliteXC’s business plan but using a Fedor as the Kimbo Slice. You can never build an organization around 1 single fighter.